Baked Potato Soup
4 large baking potatoes
2/3 C. butter of margarine
2/3 C. flour
6 C. milk
1/4 tsp. salt (I added extra to taste)
freshly group lack pepper to taste
4 green onions, chopped
12 slices bacon, crisp-fried, crumbled
1 1/4 C. shredded Cheddar cheese
1 C. sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash potatoes and pierce several times with a fork. Bake for 1 hour or until tender; cool.
- Cut potatoes into halves and scoop the pulp into a small bowl, discarding skins.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add milk gradually, stirring well after each addition. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add potato pulp, 2 tablespoons of green onions, 1/2 C. of bacon and 1 C. of cheese. Cook until heated through.
- Stir in the sour cream. Add additional milk if needed for the desired consistency.
- Sprinkle servings with remaining green onions, bacon, and cheese.