Friday, September 4, 2009

Menu for Week of 9/4/09

Apple Crunch Salad with Grilled Chicken, bread
This is a simple salad that Josh and I created; the textures and flavors are really yummy.

Apple Crunch Salad
salad greens (spinach was on sale so I am using that today)
sliced cucumber
chopped celery (I serve this on the side because Josh doesn't like it)
apple slices
raisins
chopped pecans
Toss with Easy Balsamic Vinegar Dressing

Easy Balsamic Vinegar Dressing
Equal parts vinegar and sugar
*Two Tblsp. sugar and vinegar is usually plenty for Josh and me.
*I have made this dressing with white, red wine, and balsamic vinegars; all are good.
*I especially like it with white vinegar on an iceberg lettuce "soaked" salad (mix it up and let it sit, even good the next day)

Spicy Tilapia with mango salsa, couscous, sauted green beans
I am trying this recipe for the first time, so if it is good I will post it next week. I need to use up a lime and mango that I have leftover from last week, this recipe uses both and I have everything else on hand.

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches, coleslaw, baked beans, chips/dip
This is a great meal for feeding a crowd on a budget. I bought the picnic roast several weeks ago when it was on sale for 87 cents a pound and just froze it knowing that we would be inviting people over this weekend. I simply cook the roast in the crockpot with salt/pepper, and a few shakes of liquid smoke to give it flavor. Then just pull it apart, this can even be done a day ahead and reheated before the meal. Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce.

Coleslaw
1/8 C. vegetable oil
1/8 C. vinegar
1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 C. mayo

Mix all ingredients in the bottom of a large bowl. Mix in one bag of coleslaw salad mix. Cover and refrigerate a couple of hours before serving (I usually make mine the night before).

BBQ Pork Salad, bread
I had this at a women's event one time and I knew Josh would like it since it included meat. We often do this with leftover BBQ. Just place pulled pork on top of salad greens. Serve with BBQ sauce and ranch dressing.

Spaghetti, bread, salad

Quick Spaghetti Sauce
1 14oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato puree
sprinkle in garlic salt, dried oregano, dried basil, dried chopped onion
1 tsp. or so of sugar (I use brown sugar)

Mash the tomatoes with a potato masher and let it simmer a couple of hours on low, stirring occasionally. You can cook it less time, it will just be a little more watery.

Chicken Stir-Fry served over brown rice
This is a quick and easy go-to meal that we have variations of often. I just use a bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables and chicken. I use lots of different sauce recipes. I am thinking that I will try something with more of a Thai influence this time since I have some peanuts I would like to use. Again, if it turns out well I will pass along the recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment