Friday, August 28, 2009

Menu for Week of 8/28/09

(Tuna) Greek Salad, ciabatta bread
  • Make the homemade dressing that he lists, it really makes this yummy.
  • Also, I normally always buy tuna in water, but the tuna in oil works great for this salad. It gives it a richer flavor.
  • I use canned black olives because they are cheaper.

10- Minute Steak Gyros, chips, fruit
  • Again, I found a piece of round tip steak in the manager's special section for $2.30. Cherry tomatoes were on sale this week and I can use the feta cheese in the greek salad as well.
10-Minute Gyros
1 lb. beef cut into small strips
2 tsp. greek seasoning, plus extra for dip
1 Tblsp. Veg. oil
6 soft pita bread, warmed
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 C. thin strips cucumber
1/2 C. crumbled feta cheese
1/2 C. ranch dressing
  1. Toss beef strips with greek seasoning.
  2. In lg. skillet, heat oil over med.-high heat. Add beef, half at a time, and cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes or until browned.
  3. Divide beef among warmed pitas. Top with tomato, cucumber, and feta. Drizzle ranch dressing over filled pitas. Serve extra ranch dressing on the side, if desired.
*I always add a fair amount of greek seasoning to the ranch dressing as well.
*Goat cheese works well with this also (it melts a little more with the warm beef).

Grilled Hot Dogs, sweet potato fries
  • I like to make these deluxe in the summer. We eat them topped with mustard, chopped onion, tomato, lettuce, chopped dill pickle, shredded cheddar cheese. All the veggies make me feel better about eating the hot dog.
Frozen Pizza
  • Josh and Jack are on their own for dinner tonight
Cajun Chicken Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes, bread
  • I grilled an extra chicken breast last week when I made the quesadillas. I just froze the extra one for this meal. I will also use up the rest of the cherry tomatoes.
Shrimp Tacos, mango, chips and salsa
  • This is one of our favorite summer meals. Recipe here.
  • I bought a bag of frozen shrimp last week at Sam's Club for about $8 or $9. It is great to have available for meals like this, po' boys, or pasta.
  • I use flour tortillas in stead of the corn.






No comments:

Post a Comment