Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Menu for Week of 8/21/09

Quiche (ham, swiss cheese, mushroom), salad, fresh fruit
  • I bought a ham ($11) that I divided for several meals. I cubed a small amount to serve on the chef salad from last week. I shaved some thin to put in the quiche. I sliced enough for two separate meals of baked ham that I can freeze and use later. I shaved another small bag full that I can freeze and use on stromboli, I had one other bag left of plenty of scraps that I will freeze and save for a loaded baked potato supper when it gets cooler.
Glazed Porkchops, baked sweet potatoes, broccoli salad

Quesadillas (grilled chicken, onion, red/green bell pepper), salad
  • I am using the leftover flour tortillas, and cheese from last week's tostadas.
  • I will use half the red bell pepper in this meal and half in the stir-fry. Since they were not on sale I only wanted to buy one. The cheaper green bell pepper helps stretch my dollar.
Szechwan Beef Stir-fry
  • Fresh broccoli is on sale this week, so I am using that instead of the corn called for in the recipe.
  • I always look in the "Manager's special" section for steak. I found a round tip steak for $2.22. I simply freeze it and it will be fine until I need it at the end of the week.
Szechwan Beef Stir-Fry
(Better Homes and Gardens)
3/4 lb. round steak
3 Tblsp. dry sherry or dry white wine (I sub. beef broth)
3 Tblsp. soy sauce
2 Tblsp. water
2 Tblsp. hoisin sauce
2 tsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. grated gingerroot
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (this is too spicy for Josh, so I add a little less)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tblsp. cooking oil
1 Cup thinly sliced carrots
1 81/4 oz. can whole baby corn, drained
1 red sweet pepper, cut into 1-in squares
2 Cups hot cooked rice
  1. Thinly slice beef across grain into bite-size strips. set aside. Cut whole corn in half crosswise, set aside.
  2. For sauce, stir together sherry, soy sauce, water, hoisin, cornstarch, gingerroot, sugar, red pepper, black pepper, and garlic. set aside.
  3. Pour cooking oil into large skillet. Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry carrots in hot oil for 2 minutes. Add corn, sweet red pepper. Stir-fry for 1-2 more minutes or until veggies crisp-tender.
  4. Add beef to hot skillet. Stir-fry 2-3 minutes. Push beef to sides and add sauce.
  5. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Stir in all cooked meat and veggies. Cook 1-2 minutes more. Serve over rice. Makes 4 servings.
* The first time I made this it was a last minute deal and I didn't have the fresh veggies. I used a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies instead.
* Also, I used chinese noodles instead of rice. I doubled the sauce and mixed the noodles in with the stir-fry at the last minute (sort of like a lo mein). It was so good I will do this again.


Pie Dough
4 Cups flour
1/2 -1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Cups shortening
1/4 Cup margarine
1 egg
1 Tblsp. vinegar
1/2 Cup ice water

Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening and pieces of margarine. Slightly beat egg and add vinegar to it. At this combination and the water to the dough and mix to combine (the more you mix the tougher it gets, so go easy). Chill dough for 1 hour. Divide into 4 balls and freeze.











No comments:

Post a Comment