Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I love a good chocolate chip cookie. What makes a cookie good? Everyone has an opinion on this: soft, crisp, chewy, chunks or chips, cakey. In my opinion a perfect chocolate chip cookie is soft and chewy with semi-sweet chocolate chips. My recipe comes from a high school friend's mom. She used to make chocolate chip cookies every Sunday. These really are just what a chocolate chip cookie should taste like.



Now this post would not be complete if I did not mention that my most trusted baker buddy is my sister Becca. Whenever she is in town we try to make it a point to bake something together and I think chocolate chip cookies have been our favorite. It is always a fun-filled evening when Becca comes to bake. We start by making the dough so the cookies can get in the oven as soon as possible. Of course, we need to sample several spoonfuls of cookie dough to make sure it is just right. Once the cookies are in the oven we break out the cards for a mean game of Speed. Becca has an amazing talent for playing cards at lightening speed. I don't stand a chance against her, but we continue to play anyway. Finally the cookies are out of the oven, we pile them on a plate and serve up tall glasses of milk (Becca's glass is really tall, I need an extra gallon on hand just for when she comes to town!) Josh joins us for the rest of the evening full of cookies and games or a girly movie. Becca I miss you, can't wait to do this again soon.

This picture was taken several years ago. This just shows how far back our tradition goes.

Anyway, here is our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Make these soon and serve them up with a game of cards.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Mrs. Hemingway
1 C. shortening
1/2 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
2 1/4 C. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
Chocolate chips

Cream the shortening and sugar thoroughly. Add brown sugar. Stir in eggs. Add dry ingredients and combine. Add vanilla last and fold in chocolate chips. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

* I bake mine for exactly 8 minutes. They come out with a hint of golden brown on the tips. This ensures the perfect chewy cookie.
*Mrs. Hemingway always stirred these by hand with a wooden spoon. I have found that my standing mixer makes the batter extra creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment